Warm, rich, delightful salad with broccoli & bacon.
I’m really into salads lately, but my only problem with them is most of them is not nearly filling, satisfying. So to make it more filling I usually add cooked mushrooms or grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast or feta/mozzarella cheese.
As I was thinking about the broccoli (that was my base), try to figure out what I should pair with it, what flavors would work with it, a tiny voice in my head (don’t worry, it’s not that kind of voice, it told me so…) started to repeating the word Bacon! So I let the voice and my curiosity win and I paired the broccoli with bacon. It didn’t disappoint me, bacon works really well with broccoli!
However the salad itself turned out to be delicious, I really really really f@cked up my original dressing, so we had to make a new one, only minutes before the guests arrives, since I made it for my mother’s birthday…So how can one ruin a dressing? It’s quite simple, if you don’t pay attention on which spice you grab, and you grab cinnamon instead of cumin…well…the result is noooot nice…Anyway we made the new dressing, so we had an amazing salad to serve to the guests!
- 500 gr Broccoli
- 250 gr Peas
- 1 Apple
- 2 Bell Pepper
- 3 Pickles
- 1 Chinese Cabbage
- 1 Red Onion
- 200 gr Bacon
- 200 gr Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Chilli, Garlic powder,
- Cook the broccoli and the peas.
- Dice and fry the chinese cabbage and the bacon in two separate pans.
- Dice the onion. Put them to a large bowl.
- Peel and dice the apple, add them to the onion.
- Dice the pickles and the bell pepper. Add them too.
- Mix the yoghurt with the seasonings.
- Dice the feta cheese.
- Mix the cooked broccoli, cabbage, peas and the bacon with the apple, onion, pepper and pickles.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad. Mix it well.
- Add the feta cheese, mix it carefully.
In case you wonder what I originally planned for dressing, it should have been a cheesy bacon dressing with white wine and cooking cream, but after the cinnamon…it just wasn’t…hmm…edible…But I swear I’ll try to make that again without any blooper!