Hungarian Fried Dough (Lángos) is a delicious street food, mostly eaten for breakfast. The Hungarian Fried Dough is crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside, it’s brushed with garlic infused oil, topped with sour cream and cheese!
The Hungarian Fried Dough (Lángos) is one of my favorite Hungarian food, I love its taste, its texture, also it brings back so many great childhood memories!
If you ever come to Hungary, it’s a must-to-try, it’s a main street food! You can find it on festivals, on fairs, on markets and most of our cities has at least one Lángos stall, so no excuse! 🙂
I remember as a kid, on every Sunday morning, we went to the local market, bought Fried Doughs, my brother and I shared one, in meanwhile dad and mum had their coffees, then we walked around, watched the vendors selling their goods. So, every time I see, smell or eat Fried Doughs, it brings such a nostalgic, happy feeling, also I love make it at home!
It’s not a complicated recipe, you can make it ahead and ready within a few minutes, oh and it’s sooo filling! I absolutely love it!
Hungarian Fried Dough – Lángos
Hungarian Fried Dough - Lángos
- 3/4 cup Sour Cream / Kefir
- 1.76 ounces Yeast
- 1 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 cups Flour
- Rise the Yeast in the luke warm milk and the sugar in a bigger bowl. It takes about 10-15 minute.
- Lightly beat the egg.
- When the yeast is risen, add the sour cream, the salt, the lightly beaten egg and the flour.
- Mix the dough, use your hand if you can. Don't worry, if it's sticky, don't add more flour, it should be sticky!
- Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for a few hour, or overnight.
- Next morning, heat oil in a bigger pan.
- Cut the dough to 8 pieces.
- Oil a tray and with oily hands, stretch each piece of dough thin.
- Put the dough in the oil, away from you so, you don't burn yourself.
- Fry 1 dough at a time!
- Turn them about half time (2-3 minute).
- Drain them after you get them out of the oil by standing them on paper towel.
- Serve them 'till they're still hot/warm!
Garlic Infused Oil
So I mentioned we (well, most of us…) eat our Fried Dough with garlic infused oil. It’s so easy to make.
The best about these garlic infused oils that it’s versatile. You can use it on your steak, on your veggies or your toast.
So, all you have to do is to grate 5-6 cloves of garlic, mix it with 1 cup oil and a pinch of salt. Leave it for a few hours or overnight. Thanks to the oil, it won’t go bad for looong, long time, just add oil and garlic to it from time to time.
It’s soo good with the taste of garlic, the sour cream and the cheese, I can’t even tell! You have to try it out!
- Have you heard about any Hungarian food beside Goulash?
- What would you top with your fried dough if you ever made them?
MAKE SURE TO VISIT MY START HERE AND HOME PAGES FOR MORE POSTS!
Also check these recipes out!
- Crispy Fried Fish with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Baby Spinach Pesto – Pesto Pizza
- Green Tea Healthy Gummies with Honey Lemon Ginger
- Hungarian Cottage Cheese Noodles
- Christmas 2016