Nokedli or Galuska – Hungarian Dumplings, is a wonderful side dish. We usually serve it with Chicken Paprikás (Chicken Paprikash) or Beef Stew. However it’s a simple and so-so delicious dish, it takes a little longer to make than cooking pasta.
*This post contains advertisements or affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you buy any products that have been linked to on this post. It will not affect the prices of the items.*
Nokedli or Galuska - Hungarian Dumplings, is a wonderful side dish. Click To Tweet
Just like my Hungarian Jam Filled Crackling Slippers, galuska or nokedli has several ways to make and several names. Our cuisines, here in Central/Eastern Europe, fused hundreds of years ago so that’s why we have similar dishes. You find Galuska under the following names: nokedli, spätzle, spaetzle, spätzli.
Galuska – Hungarian Dumplings
- 4 cups Flour
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 - 1½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Oil
- Boil salty water in a large pot.
- Mix the eggs, salt, and oil.
- Pour this mixture into the flour.
- Start mixing it and slowly add the water. You maybe need more or less water, depends on the flour.
- You need a thick and sticky dough.
- Add your dough (1/2-3/4 cup at a time) to the galuska (spaetzle) maker.
- Cut and let the dough drop in the boiling water by sliding the part you put the dough in, on the colander-like part.
- Stir it from time to time, so they won't stick together.
- Cook them for about 10-15 minutes or until the galuskas floating on the surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain them and serve them hot.
All you have to do is to add your flavor choice of the following flavors to your dough and enjoy the versatility of Galuska – Hungarian Dumplings!
- Turmeric – it makes the dough even more delicious and also, golden color.
- Spinach – it makes the dough healthier, a great way to eat your greens, also it adds gorgeous color.
- Basil – it adds the dough a wonderful, aromatic, fresh taste.
- Chive – just like basil, it adds a wonderful and fresh taste to the dough.
PIN FOR LATER!
MAKE SURE TO VISIT MY START HERE AND HOME PAGES FOR MORE POSTS!
Also, check these recipes out!
- Crispy Fried Fish with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Baby Spinach Pesto – Pesto Pizza
- Green Tea Healthy Gummies with Honey Lemon Ginger
- Hungarian Cottage Cheese Noodles
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms