A few more hours and I’ll be on vacation! Can’t wait. It’s the first time for us to be able to go for a vacation just the two of us, also next week we’ll have our 8th anniversary! Yay!
But before we go, I want to share a simple, but tasty vegetable soup with you.
The weather was colder for the last few days, which is one hand very great, we couldn’t sleep last week because of the heat, but on the other hand, why ooh why exactly this week is colder?
Anyway these days are screaming for a heart and soul warming soup…So I made this easy vegetable soup.
I don’t know about you, but I just love the smell of the cooking vegetables, especially the cooking carrots…I don’t know…something about that sweet but earthy smell brings me back my childhood when on every family gathering (holiday, name day, birthday, etc.) my grandmother waited us with chicken or vegetable soup…hmm I just love it!
- 1 onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 head of cauliflower
- 3 carrot
- 1 smaller turnip
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3-4 l water
- 1 tbsp parsley and salt
- 1 tsp pepper, thyme
- 0.5 tsp cayenne
- 2-3 dry bayleaf
- Mix and grind the spices except the bayleaf
- Add the oil to a stock pot, heat it. Dice the onion, grind the garlic (eg.: in a mortar) and sauté them on the oil. Be careful with the garlic, it burns quickly and if it does, it'll become bitter!
- Add the bayleaf to the onion and garlic.
- Clean and cut the carrots, the turnip and the cauliflower.
- Cut them to the size you like, but the smaller the faster it cooks.
- Oh and don't forget that the cauliflower soften faster than the carrot and the turnip soften the slowest!
- Add both to the sautéd onion.
- Spice it and pour hot water onto the soup base
- Cook it on middle heat for 30-45 minutes or until the veggies soften.
Do your family have ‘special’ soup you or your relative serve on every family gathering? What is your favorite ingredient on a veggie soup?