This Oven Fried Chicken with crunchy breaded outside and juicy, soft inside is just perfect for dinner, lunch and even for a breakfast sandwich. Since it’s a freezer friendly recipe, you can make these ahead. Just grab them from the freezer, push them in the oven and within 30 minutes you have a delicious meal.
*This post contains advertisements or affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you buy any products that have been linked to on this post. It will not affect the prices of the items.*
So the thing is, I hate to fry in oil! Mainly because I burn myself like..daily basis.
You probably ask now how can a foodie burn herself almost every day?
Well, I have no problem dealing with knives; I usually don’t break anything (this week is a double exception); I’m pretty good at eyeballing the ingredients yet I’m terrible with heat! Hot oven, pans, oil…generally with anything hot I’m terribly clumsy. Therefore I always look for different methods to avoid at least the hot oil.
The other day I had chicken breast in the fridge waiting just for me to make them. Breading is a common method to prepare a meal here in Hungary. Also, I really wanted to make breaded chicken for a while, but I really really wanted to avoid the hot oil, like I said before. So I decided to give it a try and oven fry my chicken slices.
The secret of the perfect oven fried chicken:
The biggest secret of the perfect oven fried chicken is not really in breading; however the breading is the big part of a delicious chicken (or really any kind of meat).
The secret is to put them in the freezer at least 10-15 minutes before you want to use them! This way the breading won’t fell off the meat and keeps the juiciness inside! Be sure you left enough space between the slices, so it can freeze nice and quick separately. Also if you don’t want to use them immediately, freeze them about 20-25 minute (or until they froze properly), then put them in a Ziploc bag.
This way I (mostly) avoid to burn myself, I don’t have to use (any/much) oil, it’s mess free, healthier, I can make a bunch chicken slices, nuggets ahead! So it’s a win-win situation in the light of I get the perfect oven fried chicken.
Perfect Oven Fried Chicken Recipe:
- 2 pair Chicken Breast (without the bone and the skin)
- 2-2½ cup Flour (depends on the size of the Chicken Breast)
- 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Pepper, 1 tsp Hungarian Smoked Red Paprika
- 2 tsp Parsley
- ½ tsp Chilli or Cayenne, ½ tsp Cumin, ½ tsp Rosemary
- Slice the chicken breasts. Smaller slices and nugget size is more preferable.
- This recipe will make about 40 nuggets, depends on the size you cut the chicken.
- Mix the spices with the flour. For less mess, use a Ziploc bag.
- Prepare a tray you can put in the freezer later.
- Put the slices, nuggets in the Ziploc bag.
- Shake it together, so the spicy flour cover every part of the chicken. *UPDATE: after you put the chicken in the Ziplock bag with spiced flour, shake them together, make sure all of your chicken nuggets are coated enough with the breading and shake off the excess! You need just enough breading to cover your nuggets! It leads to a thin layer of spicy flour. The breading is more than enough for the 2 chicken breast. This way I make sure the breading is enough for larger chicken breasts too!
- Lay the slices on the tray. Leave at least 1-2 inches between the slices.
- Put the tray in the freezer for at least 10-15 minute.
- In the meanwhile preheat the oven.
- "Fry" them on medium heat (about 350-360°) for 20 minutes (10 minutes per sides). Note that the baking time depends on your oven and the size of the nuggets. If yours still feels raw, bake it some more, but watch it closely and check frequently, or if it feels done sooner, make sure it's not raw and finish the baking sooner.
I was so happy with the result! No burn, no oil smell, no mess and a healthy oven fried chicken. Absolutely love that the breading didn’t fall off, it stayed crunchy and the inside was still juicy and soft! I had a bag of frozen chicken slices left for this week too and it was still perfect after “frying” them. So it’s safe to say they are indeed freezer friendly and perfect.
PIN FOR LATER!
MAKE SURE TO VISIT MY START HERE AND HOME PAGES FOR MORE POSTS!
Also, check these recipes out!
- Crispy Fried Fish with Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Baby Spinach Pesto – Pesto Pizza
- Green Tea Healthy Gummies with Honey Lemon Ginger
- Hungarian Cottage Cheese Noodles
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms
Don’t forget to subscribe to my Newsletter to keep updated to
Anna Can Do It! Blog